martes, 31 de agosto de 2010

A quick getaway

Finally getting back into the groove of this blog thing, thank the Lord. After working and studying nonstop for six weeks, I got to take a break and go with Luis and his family to Acapulco. They normally go twice a year and stay in their timeshare apartment. Getting there, though, turned out to be a bigger problem than expected.

I knew after working both Saturdays and Sundays for six weeks that my boss would let me rest the first weekend after the end of the course. I talked to him a couple weeks ago asking if he would give me that Friday, too. He said that would be fine if I sold three more memberships. On Wednesday, I went to talk to him to make sure he was still going to give me Friday. He said, "I thought you were talking about last weekend! You have to come Friday for a sales workshop." I was so upset, because I had been waiting a long time for a break from work. I asked if I could skip it, and he said definitely not, but I'll give you Monday off and you can leave Friday after the workshop is over. I talked to Luis, and he said no, that we already made the plans and we can't change everything at the last minute, so just tell him we already bought the bus tickets. We were going by car, but sorry, I lied anyway. So my boss said, fine, just go on. The next part...trying to change schedules with my coworker on Thursday so that we could leave after work Thursday instead of waiting until early Friday morning.

When I asked my coworker if we could change schedules, he said no, I have things to do tonight. I was upset because we were going to miss at least half a day of the trip because of that. Then my other coworker brought something to mind. Now that we have four people in the sales department, I would be able to change my schedule and the area would be covered anyway. So I just asked my boss if I could come early, not have a lunch break, and leave early. He said, when you come back you better work like a crazy person, but have fun.

All day Thursday, I couldn't sit still because I was ready to hit the road and get out of there. At 5:00 on the dot, it started raining like crazy. The entire morning, it was fine. But no, at 5:00 it had to start raining. I mean hail and everything. Looked like a hurricane. So I called Luis and asked him what we were going to do. That TURD was sleeping! He went to work that morning and felt tired, so he went home to take a nap. Everyone was bothering him on the phone, so he just turned it off. When he finally turned it back on, I called and he hadn't even packed his bags yet (even though he told me he did, haha). It was raining so bad by that time that he had time to get everything ready anyway. Probably a good thing, really, because if we had started driving and that stuff hit, it could've been ugly. Always a blessing in disguise.

We got there Thursday night and headed straight to bed. Friday we woke up late and the maid lady made us breakfast. Then we went to the beach and decided to go to a different place than normal. Bad idea. People are all over the beach trying to sell you stuff in Acapulco, but this place was absolutely ridiculous. There were people literally stopping in front of the car to sell us stuff. We decided to get out of there as soon as possible and go to our normal place. There, we settled in with some piña coladas and thought about what to do for the rest of the day.

Last time we were there, Gaby (Luis' sister) went parasailing. It looked like a lot of fun, so Luis promised that the next time I could. So they strapped me in and told me what to do when I saw the yellow flag. I was thinking, poor people that don't speak Spanish. It sounded kinda complicated, haha. Really, though, I didn't need to do anything. I took like two steps and I was in the air. I didn't feel like I was that high, but everyone said I looked like a little dot in the sky. I thought I would be a little afraid, but it was so much fun. I felt like a bird. I didn't even have to do anything when I came down, either. Didn't even see a yellow flag. Just floated to the ground. When I got back to where we were sitting, Luis said, "Come on!" I was like, wait, what? What's going on? So I'm running with everyone and we get on the floating banana thing. Apparently we were going water skiing. I was mad because I didn't know so I didn't bring my camera. The skiing instructor was just like a fish, made for the water. He's been teaching people every day to ski for about 30 years. His name is even Marino, which means "sailor," or "seaman." I kinda wanted to just stay in the boat because every time I water ski, I don't like it much. But after everyone else had their turn, they kept insisting, so I tried it. I got up pretty easy and stayed up for a while. I ended up falling in the water on my face and the ski hit me in the knee, but it was still fun. Just wish I had gotten pictures.

Lunch was ready when we got back. The maid had made us fish and shrimp. It was great, but I ate way too much way too fast. I didn't feel so good, so I went to take a nap. After a couple of hours, Luis woke me up and asked what I wanted to do that night. I told him whatever everyone else wanted to do was fine with me. So he said ok, let me go ask. I went back to sleep and woke up hours later and everyone was in the living room watching a movie. I think it was about nine at night, and by that time there wasn't enough time for everyone to take a shower, get ready, and go somewhere. I was like, why didn't you guys wake me up? Well, we didn't want to bother you. So I went looking for Luis, who had fallen asleep just when he said he was going to ask everyone what they wanted to do. I was kinda upset that we wasted a night just sleeping, but oh well. I guess we needed the rest.

The next day, we got up and ate a light breakfast and went out to a marina. We saw lots of yachts of rich and famous people. Some of them were really huge and nice. It was interesting. Anyway, we got on a boat to go scuba diving. I was a little nervous because I don't like the feeling of having to breath through my mouth into a tank. But I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. First, we practiced breathing through our mouths by snorkeling. I had a lot of trouble using the flippers, but I finally got the hang of it. Then, we put on our tanks to go scuba diving. We had to put big weights on around our waists to keep from floating, which kinda freaked me out. The instructor taught us all the signs we needed to know when our ears were hurting, if we wanted to get out, etc. When I first got into the water, I felt really claustrophobic. I panicked a bit, but the instructor helped me calm down and pop my ears so they didn't hurt so much. We saw lots of beautiful fish and even a snake (ew). The instructor then gave us the signal to put air in our vests and float back to the surface. Luis and Gaby's boyfriend, Arturo, apparently did not see the sign and just stayed at the bottom. I was pretty glad to be able to breath out of my mouth again. When Luis and Arturo came back up, they were gasping for air. We were like, what happened? He said they were looking at some fish and all of a sudden, they didn't have any more air in their tanks. They just looked at each other and got out of there as soon as they could. The instructor was like, did you not see the sign to get out? They said, no, but that was scary. Poor guys that were waiting their turn in the boat looked nervous after our stories. Scuba diving was a good experience, but I'm not sure I would do it again, haha.

For lunch that day, we grilled hamburgers and ate too many fries. We took a nap again, but decided to go out for a few drinks later. We didn't stay long and went home pretty early.

Sunday we went to the beach for a while and I bought a starfish to tell everyone I found it when I went scuba diving, haha. We ate shrimp again for lunch and got on the road to be able to get back to Puebla before really late. Just thought I would tell you about another adventure of mine in Mexico.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario